[b-greek] Re: EN XRISTWi

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 07:13:11 EST

At 10:03 PM -0600 1/6/01, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:
>On 1/6/01 8:49 PM, Wayne Leman wrote:
>
>> 2. Is there any extra-biblical precedent for usage of the dative <EN + name>
>> phrasal syntax other than for literal locatives? If so, what semantic role
>> did the referent of that name have in that extra-biblical usage?
>
>I can't think of any occurrences of EN + name. The only thing I can think of
>in the biblical literature that may come close is the statement in 1 Co 10.2
>where Paul says PANTES EIS TON MWUSHN EBAPTISQHSAN ("all were baptized into
>Moses"). Does this constitute them as somehow EN MWUSEI? (cf. Ro 6.3; Ga
>3.27)

This is a good question and an interesting suggestion. I remember reading
somewhere (A.D. Nock? It's probably either false or a matter of common
knowledge that I thought particularly interesting) that the terminology of
Hellenistic religious associations--not just Christian faith
communities--tended to refer to the leader as the PATHR and to the members
as his TEKNA; perhaps also the initiation ceremony might bring the new
members into an association with EIS + proper name and an associative
terminology such as EN + proper name. This is pure speculation on my part,
but it ought to be something that can be readily checked by running the EN
+ dat. sg. pattern on the TLG disk (except that there'd be a lot of
locative constructions to eliminate!).

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu