[b-greek] Re: future indicatives as imperatives

From: L. J. Swain (larry.swain@wmich.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 20:46:03 EST

Again, I think it depends on your target audience. Since this in the Loeb, I think

your grad student has a point; after all while "do not" language is a little less
stilted in everyday use than "shall", for "do not" we usually say "don't". So if
you're using the "do not" I would use the "shall" in response, and only footnote it

the first time you use it and leave it at that. That's my .02

Larry Swain