[b-greek] RE: emphatic expressions [to Larsen]

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 16:13:49 EST

Moon-Ryul wrote

> Dear Iver,
> many thanks for your useful tutorial on emphasis in Greek.
>
> You wrote:
> I don't find the usual (in discourse theory) dichotomistic distinction
> between
> focus and comment useful for Greek discourse. Rather, I find it useful to
> talk
> about three different kinds of emphasis:
> 1) Positional (and relative) emphasis
> 2) Lexical emphasis
> 3) Redundancy emphasis
>

> The notion of focus and comment is independent of syntax.
> Different languages implement the notion of focus and comment
> differently. So, I do not understand your statement above.

My apologies. I meant to write "topic and comment" rather than "focus and
comment". My mind was out of focus, or focused too much on "focus". The concept
of focus is a general concept that can be shown in various languages in the
phonology (like stress) or morphology (focus markers) or syntax.

> Also, is there any evidence that the basic word order in GREEK
> is VSO?

I would refer you to section 2.6 of the book "INFORMATION STRUCTURE AND
DISCOURSE FEATURES OF NEW TESTAMENT GREEK" by Stephen H. Levinsohn (SIL:Dallas,
Revised edition, 2000). Dr. Randall Buth may have more references. I first
learned this from him, I believe.

Iver Larsen
Kolding, Denmark
alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org