[b-greek] RE: PASAN THN PISTIN

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 02:54:27 EST

I am sympathetic to the issue Iver raised: the relationship
between head nouns and modifiers.

It occurs to me that calling PANTES in
PANTES hOI MAQHTAI and hOI MAQHTAI PANTES
to be predicative is misleading.

If PANTES in both construction is a MODIFIER that
contribute to the determination of the referent of
the phrase, it is misleading to call its position to be
predicative. If it modifies the noun, it is attributive
by definition.

Consider "I saw Judy singing" and "I saw a singing baby".
In the first sentence "singing" is predicative,
because it explains Judy further rather than helps determine the
referent of "Judy". On the other hand, in the second "singing" is
attributive, because it helps determine the referent of "a baby:.

What do you think?

  Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea