[b-greek] RE: EDIKAIWQH

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 04:12:25 EST

> James 2:21
>
> ABRAAM hO PATHR hHMWN OUK EX ERGWN EDIKAIWQH ANENEGKAS ISAAK TON hUION AUTOU
> EPI TO QUSIASTHRION
>
> A commentary I consulted took EDIKAIWQH as "revealed [his] justification."
> As if to say that Abraham received justification long before he offered up
> Isaac; so this verse must be referring to a demonstration of that
> justification/righteousness.
>
> I realize there is a tendency for scholars to remove apparent contradictions
> in the Bible, but my question is whether or not THIS translation is
> acceptable?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark Wilson

No, I don't think such a translation is acceptable. Nor is there any
contradiction. Justification is not primarily something you receive, but it
describes a (right) relationship between man and God. The "works" completes the
"faith" as James goes on to explain in the following verse. The "works" here is
an action that shows Abraham's obedience to an explicit command of God and it
"proves" his faith. Disobedient and rebellious "faith" is not faith at all. I am
sure Paul would agree with that. When Paul talks about "faith" contra "works",
he is referring to "works" as trying to be justified (come into right
relationship with God) through keeping the OT Law while ignoring the concepts of
faith and grace. That is a completely different matter from "works" as an
example of obedient action.

Iver Larsen
Kolding, Denmark
alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org