[b-greek] Re: dangling dative...

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 20:51:58 EST

". callee" wrote:

> Hello,
> This is my first post, so please excuse any oddities. I'm wondering
> if any of you can help me out with a real basic question. In Gal
> 2:20 there seems to be an extra article that I am not sure what to do
> with. In the second half of the verse, we have a nice little chiasm,
> verb, prep. phrase, prep. phrase, verb (zw en sarki en pistei zw),
> which is sensibly followed by an instrumental genative, (tou uiou tou
> theou) In between however, is this odd dative article. It seems to
> be attached to nothing, there is not even a suitable noun preceeding
> it that it could be referring to as a pronoun (and even if it was,
> how would we translate that in light of the genative?). In short, I
> cannot see what to do with this. Any ideas?
> Thanks.
> Ryan Wettlaufer
> South-Hamilton, MA.

Ryan,

You may want to check the archives. I believe there was a fairly lengthy thread on
this a while ago.

hO DE NUN ZW EV SARKI, EN PISTEI ZW TH TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU...

I would take the dative article after ZW as being in agreement with PISTEI,
connecting the gentive phrase back to faith. While in English we would translate as
" I live by faith in the Son of God....", I see it has having the force of " I live
by faith, that faith which is in the Son of God..". Of course, this could be a
subjective genitive, " I live by the faithfullness of the Son of God..". However, I
think the function of the article would be the same either way.

Jim Murray
Racine, WI