[b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 01:06:04 EST

In a message dated 01/23/2001 9:46:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, CEP7 writes:

<< ARCH is cognate to the verb ARCOMAI so it is a verbal noun. ARCH is
distinct from QEOU. QEOU is the ultimate agent. ARCH would refer to the
intermediate agent.

 Charles E. Powell, Ph.D. >>

But we are asking about the verbal ideas implicit in ARCH, as the head noun
in an objective genitive expression. ARCOMAI is not used in this verse,
hence, any verbal idea for the head term must be implicit in ARCH, but I do
not see it here, or elsewhere. Being a cognate to ARCOMAI does not
necessarily give it an implicit verbal idea.

I realize ARCH is distinct from QEOU. That is my point: the creation is TOU
QEOU, so if we accept "beginner" for ARCH then who did the creating, hH ARCH
or hO QEOS? How do you understand TOU QEOU in relation to hH ARCH in this
verse?

Greg