[b-greek] Re: Mark 8:12 Translation of EI in context

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 22:50:55 EST

Michael Watson wrote:

> I used to struggle with this translation until the value of context
> finally dawned on me. The use of EI is one of several excellent examples
> demonstrating that the meaning of language is driven by the context
> rather than the lexicon.
>
> Mk 8:12
> KAI ANASTENAXAS TWi PNEUMATI AUTOU LEGEI, TI H GENEA AUTH ZHTEI
> SHMEION; AMHN LEGW UMIN EI DOQHSETAI THi GENEAi TAUTHi SHMEION. .
> . . . . . .
> . .
> 8:13
> KAI AFEIS AUTOUS PALIN EMBAS APHLQEN EIS TO PERAN.
>
> The event describes a confrontation to which Jesus begins to answer
> with the protasis:
> "Truly I say to you if a sign shall be given to this generation . . . ."
>
> Normally there would be a conclusion/response (apodosis) to the protasis
> which is the initiating condition. Without a conclusion it becomes an
> aposeopesis. What we expect doesn't appear and without fully
> appreciating the circumstances some may tend to search for meaning where
> is doesn't exist. I tend to disagree with a number of resources listing
> EI as a "strong negation".
>
> If you will, the apodosis comes in the form of Jesus's departure, a
> 'sign' of frustration also denying them the sign they sought. My
> students are working on this one and I'm hoping to add some thoughtful
> grist from the mill.
>
> If anyone has an idea or two. . . . . .

I think you need to take into consideration that what we have here is a literal
rendering of a typical Hebrew oath formula of adjuration which was in use in Palestine
in Jesus' day as a recognized way of saying `no' forcefully

On the import of the oath and the Semitic formula which underlies the text of Mk.
8:12c, see E. Kautzch, ed. Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar (1910), p. 471f.; P. Jouon,
Grammaire de l'Hebreu biblique (Paris, 1923), p. 505; and G.W. Buchanan, `Some Vow and
Oath Formulas', pp. 324-26.

The oath is here abbreviated, as in Ps. 95:11, but on analogy with 2 Kings 6:31 may be
filled out as `May I die' or `may God curse me if I accede to your demand!'.

The author of Hebrews uses it as well.

And as to whether Jesus leaves in frustration, may I ask that you have a look at my
articles ""Mk. 8:12a. Why Does Jesus 'Sigh Deeply'?", Technical Papers for the Bible
Translator 38 (1987) pp. 122-125. and Jesus' Refusal to Produce a 'Sign' (Mk.
8:11-13)", Journal for the Study of the New Testament 38 (1990), pp. 37-66.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)