[b-greek] OU...hUPO NOMON ALLA hUPO CARIN ( Rom 6:14)

From: virgil newkirk (virgilsalvage1@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 04:00:00 EST

On Sun. June 28,2001 at 23:47 Moon-Ryul Jung wrote.......

     I want to paraphrase Rom 6:141-15 as follows:

14(a) Sin will not be the master of you.
15(b) It is because you are not under the Law, i.e.
not under the obligation to keep the Law
as a Law-people,
but you are under grace [which motivates you not
to sin].

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the obligation
to keep the Law as a Law-people,
but under grace?

The point of this paraphrase is that the point of Rom 6:14b is
not so much "you are not under the Law" as "you are under Grace".
In this paraphrase, the fact that "you are not under the Law"
has nothing to do with the declaration "sin will not be the master
of you", but the fact that "you are under grace" has.

If you understand "not under the Law" as "not under the condemnation of
the Law" like Cranfield does, both "not under the Law" and "under grace"
have to do with "sin will not be the master of you".

My question is: does OU GAR ESTE hUPO NOMON ALLA hUPO CARIN
inherently prefer the rendering (e.g. Granfield's) which treats
OU hUPO NOMON and hUPO CARIN symmetrically
because of its sentence structure or the Greek grammar?

I like my paragraph especially because 6:15 makes a better sense
in this paragraph, rather than

What then? Shall we sin because we are not
under the condemnation of the Law but under grace?
[Mine is: Shall we sin because we are not under the obligation to
keep the Law as a Law-people
but under grace? ]

     Dear Moon-Ryul and all....

    Moon when you wrote above.....
    Rom 14a Sin will not be the master of you...

   .By moving right along to 14b...we miss two pertinent issues. 1.) In 14a
it says haMARTIA....GAR....UMWN...

   So we aren't led down side streets of our own making....the writer tells
us the subject..."nominative", as someone stated, the
personification.."SIN"...THE struggling and missing of the mark...but key
here is GAR. This tells us we are not on a new subject line, but rather a
further explanation of what has previously been mentioned. Same
subject...more information, more "explanation. So I don't go over any
boundaries by going on too long...allow me to say that what's coming is more
on the subject of what we were before being put into Christ..that is, into
the who and what He is. And as a result of now being in Him...what that
signifies as to our position, experience and reality.See chapter 5 and 6.
Which brings us to the second important issue in 14a...the Genitive...UMWN.
SIN....to explain further....Now this is where most translations miss it!
They put "you" at the end of the statement of,shall not have dominion over
you. The Greek says...and this is crucial to our understanding of what's
said here.....SIN...to explain further....UMWN, oh this is amazing...UMWN.
SIN...to explain further...genitive..as characterized by...because of what's
been sent through you and has taken on you...NO NEVER will it have
dominion....not on "that" you! UMWN ! This "you" here is not the old you. We
must realize Paul is addressing us from his vantage point of reality. Paul
says in 2 Cor 5:16, he is knowing NO ONE according to the flesh. That's why
14b is another GAR...but first the NO NEVER(OU)from his point of view...to
explain further...keeping in mind what he just said about UMWN..NO NEVER are
you having your life...are you living under the regime of the law and its
required response...BUT (ALLA) you are continually having your
existence..your life from and according to..subject to the supply of Grace.
Paul only sees the ones in Rome as they are in 2 Cor 5:17..if anyone is EN
Christ...they are a new "as pertains to quality" arrangement of things...old
things are gone! Look! All have become new in quality. Remember Peter in
John 21....Jesus set the example for Paul and all of us for the reality that
He produced.....see things from The One who is Reality..from His point of
view...Simon Peter....present indicative active..AGAPAW ME! Simon Peter...
Virgil Newkirk...Moon-Ryun Jung....there is a UMWN place in you that is
always AGAPAW Me !

     Moon-Ryun....you said above...

    In this paraphrase, the fact that "you are not under the Law"
has nothing to do with the declaration "sin will not be the master
of you", but the fact that "you are under grace" has.

   Oh yes it does....it is a GAR...a further explanation of the UMWN..the
you that SIN cannot be the master of...ever again. However, we are to first
focus on....UMWN is what SIN will...NO NEVER have dominion over...NEVER!
NEVER! Then 14b absolutely explains it further by showing that there is a
"we" that is not in relation to the law. We should not understand this to be
merely not under the condemnation of the law...but absolutely not in the
same universe as the law. Well..that's overstating it a bit...but you know
what I mean.We are now..in a certain part of us, only subject to
Grace...only beholding to Grace...Paul calls it somewhere..serving the Lord
EN my spirit ! Here it is...Rom 1:9 GAR...(what a wonderful word) to
explain further..God is being my witness..the One I am serving...EN....my
spirit. Was Paul under...according to the....trying to be subject to..the
Law. NO! He was EN his spirit...serving the Lord.

     I believe we should take this verse as it is....containing
GAR....explaining itself by referring back...not outside of itself. Not to
Jews and Gentiles...but to what's old and new. Not to grace being the
moivating factor but grace being the supply line of the New Life!

   6:15...What then? Shall we miss the mark because we are not being subject
to the law..but being subject to grace? NO! May it never happen!

    Virgil Newkirk
    Salt Lake City, Utah