[b-greek] RE: AUTOS in Luke 3:23

From: Al Jacobson (abj@the-bridge.net)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:36:35 EST

Iver:

The emphatic AUTOS does not have to be translated "himself". Couldn't one
just say that it may be translated as "himself", for lack of a better way to
show the intensive use? Another option is not to try to translate it, if
one cannot find an English translation that one thinks does the Greek
construction justice. In any case, as I recall, AUTOS is never used as the
third person pronoun in the nominative case. That distinction was reserved
to the oblique cases. Were you thinking that you have found an example that
proved otherwise?

Smyth says that AUTOS in any case in the predicate position with a
substantive is intensive. Here AUTOS is in the predicate position relative
to its antecedent. KAI AUTOS HN IHSOUS ... WSEI ETWN TRIAKONTA. The more
definite noun is the subject of that phrase, and the pronoun is clearly in
predicate position. So, following Smyth, it is intensive in that position.

On the other hand, in classical Greek there were special usages of AUTOS in
the intensive that were translated differently than "himself," namely, e.g.,
"Master" and this usage seems to have as much going for it, syntactically,
as your suggestion, doesn't it? "And The Master, Jesus, was about thirty
years old when he began ..."

Just a thought.

Allen Jacobson