[b-greek] Re: fonts

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 17:42:19 EST

"Carl W. Conrad" wrote [snipped]:

> For Macintosh users, the comparable item is the KeyCaps accessory in the
> Apple Menu; the problem, however, and I don't know whether this is true
> with the corresponding "Character Map" in Windows (but it wouldn't surprise
> me) is that when you need to use two keys in succession to do
> accent/breathing-mark over a vowel, the KeyCaps accessory won't show you
> that; it will only show you what character will be produced by each
> particular key.

    Actually, the Mac KeyCaps accessory does inform the user as to whether multiple
strokes are required, but it is subtle and (I believe) undocumented. Those
characters requiring more than one keystroke are very faintly shadowed; once the
initial key has been struck one time, your choices for the second key are outlined.
Keys not outlined will not produce a valid character when used after the shadowed
key. This feature is a bit confusing, however, since the as-yet unused, assignable
keys are always outlined in such instances, as well.

Daniel

--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Professor of Biblical Languages, Portland Bible College