[b-greek] pistis + noun(genitive)

From: Bryan Rocine (brocine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 17:06:17 EST

Dear b-Greekers:

I need a little help with Mark 11:22 EXETE PISTIN QEOU

Does it mean "Have faith in God," "...from God," "...like
God," "...of God"?

I have gleaned the following from my studies so far:
PISTIN and PISTOS often appear with prepositions EIS, EN,
EPI, which seem to follow closely our English syntax with
_faith in_ and _believe in_.

Other examples of PISTIN or PISTOS in a string with a noun
in the genitive do not seem to indicate conclusively the
precise relationship between the believing and the noun.

I tried a Persius search on the exact string <PISTIN QEOU>
and received zero hits. It is a little disconcerting to me
that I may not have searched correctly. (I would feel more
confident if I would have received at least one hit!
-) ) I received over a thousand hits on <PISTIN EIS>.
Is the expression PISTIN QEOUS unique to Mark 11:22 as my
Persius search seems to indicate?

Thanks for your help.
Bryan

B. M. Rocine