[b-greek] Re: John 3:16

From: Trevor Peterson (speederson@erols.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 07:32:33 EST

I don't have the materials handy for a lexical analysis of this word, but
syntactically I would say it's a highly unlikely reading. with hUION
("son") in the accusative case, I would expect it to be the direct object
of a transitive verb. "Came forth" is not a transitive concept, so I'm
really not even sure what you might be able to do with the accusatives if
that were the sense intended. I could see "presented" or "brought forth"
as possible variations on the general theme of giving, and I don't think
they would substantially change the meaning of the verse. But once we're
talking about an intransitive meaning for the verb, it seems to me that
the syntax becomes unnecessarily complicated.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics