[b-greek] Re: theos and ho theos'

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 22:09:52 EST

In a message dated 03/01/2001 9:23:42 AM Pacific Standard Time, CEP7 writes:

<< This is interestingly because Dixon, Harner, Kuehne, Robertson, and
Wallace all came to the conclusion that the majority (80%) of the anarthrous
preverbal predicate nominatives were qualitative, and only rarely verbal. See
the discussion in Wallace, 256-70,

 Philip B. Harner, Qualitative Anarthrous Predicate Nouns: Mark 15:39 and
John 1:1, JBL 92 (1973): 75-87.

 C. Kuehne, A Postscript to Colwells Rule and John 1:1, Journal of Theology
15 [1975] 22.

 Paul Stephen Dixon, The Significance of the Anarthrous Predicate Nominative
in John (Th.M. thesis, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1975).

 Charles E. Powell, Ph.D. >>

Dear Charles:

Thank you for the references. Of course, I discuss and express disagreements
with each of the above sources, and others, in my published discussion of
issues pertaining to John 1:1. If you are willing to discuss the grammatical
bases informing the above opinions, I will gladly share my thoughts with you.
I am sure you and I could keep things on the grammatical level required,
here.

As a prelude to the discussion, assuming you have not read my book, I do not
believe the above sources provide any evidence that so-called qualitative
nouns are not simply definite or indefinite nouns, the qualities of which
receive emphasis by means of fronting. Fronting accomplishes this not only
with PNs, but with terms of different grammatical cases, too. Of course, I
would be happy to discuss the grammatical evidence from the above works that
you find compelling.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford