[b-greek] Luke 4:18b

From: Kenneth Litwak (javajedi2@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 01:32:20 EST

Luke 4:18b (or maybe c):
aposteilai teqrausmenous en afesei

The usual translation of this is "to bind up the
brokenhearted." I'm having trouble with that as it is
clealry not what this seems to say. Literally it
seems to say "to send those who stand downtrodden
in/by release." Clearly that is not very readable
English, but the usual translation seems to me quite
far from the text. I've checked for alternatives in
several lexicons, including BAGD, and none seem to
address this. BAGD comes close but not quite. So
would someone please explain the syntax to me? Since
transslations seem to uniformly say "bind up the
borkenhearted," what seems clear to me must be wrong.
  Thanks.

Ken