[b-greek] Re: Luke 4:18b "Set free????"

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 16:22:15 EST

"Set free" is probably idiomatic English for "send away" or "send forth" [APOSTEILAI]
at Luke 4:18, since it is coupled with EN AFESEI, "in deliverance." Similarly, many
translations have Moses demanding that Pharaoh "LET my people GO, " (Exodus 5:1) when
in Hebrew he really said, "Send my people away." The LXX, in correct translation of
the Hebrew, has EXAPOSTEILON here.

Solomon Landers