[b-greek] Re: Second Plural

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 13:49:29 EST

At 9:03 AM -0800 3/6/01, Jim Darden wrote:
>Does anyone know of a scripture reference where the second plural is so
>ambiguous when translated into English (excluding the KJV) that
>the referent is easily confused? Are there any exegetically significant
>passages out there? I didn't find any examples in Wallace or the other
>grammars I have so maybe it's a non-issue. Thanks.

Here's one that I wasn't aware of until it was recently called to my attention:

Lk 22:31-32 SIMWN SIMWN, IDOU hO SATANAS EXHTHSEN hUMAS TOU SINIASAI hWS
TON SITON; EGW DE EDEHQHN PERI SOU hINA MH EKLIPHi hH PISTIS SOU; KAI SU
POTE EPISTREYAS STHRISON TOUS ADELFOUS SOU.

It's the hUMAS in verse 31 that's surprising and important: Jesus speaks to
Peter but he says that Satan wants to sift ALL of the disciples, not just
Peter. When hUMAS is translated simply as "you" the implications are lost.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu