[b-greek] On "Cancelability"

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 01:05:07 EST

<x-flowed>

This question is designed to help me understand the linguistic
employment of "cancelability" in determining [a lexeme's] semantics.

What made me think of this was Kimmo's "I ran" (past tense in English) and
"IF I ran" (where its pastness is cancelled).

In John 8:23 we have:

hUMEIS EK TWN KATW ESTE EGW EK TWN ANW EIMI

Here KATW and ANW, both adverbs, have their adverbial natures
cancelled by the articles. Does this mean that the adverbial natures
of KATW and ANW are not part of their SEMANTICS, since they can be
cancelled?

Which is also to ask: is cancelability ALONE the litmus test for semantics?

Regards,

Mark Wilson