[b-greek] 1Corinthians 4:6

From: Chuck Tripp (ctripp@ptialaska.net)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 13:20:39 EST

Hello everyone,

I am new to the list. I have a question regarding 1 Corinthians 4:6.

In the UBS 4th edition it has:

"...hINA en hHMIN MAQHTE TO MH hUPER hA GEGRAPTAI, hINA MH hEIS hUPER..."

The Bys/T.R. inserts after GEGRAPTAI, QRONEIN.

Now, the textual variant is not picked up by the Apparatus in the UBS, I
just happened to notice the variant.

Now for my questions. It seems to me that the variant should be picked up
by Apparatus and I am curious if anyone might know why it is not. Was it
an oversight?

It is my observation that the sentence makes a whole lot more sense with
QRONEIN inserted. In fact, I could not make head nor tails of the
sentence as it is written in the UBS which was what prompted me to start
digging around.

Further question: Any idea what the UBS version means? How does the NIV
get "so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go
beyond what is written." from hINA EN nHMIN MAQHTE TO ME hUPER hA
GEGRAPTAI?

Chuck Tripp
Kodiak, Alaska