[b-greek] Re: Acts 7:59

From: Tony Costa (tmcos@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 23:03:48 EST

<x-flowed>

>From: Schmuel <schmuel@bigfoot.com>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [b-greek] Acts 7:59
>Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:41:39 -0800
>
>Hello Biblical Greek,
>
>Acts 7:59
>And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive
>my spirit.
>(KJV)
>
>Could the Greek grammatically allow that "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit"
>was said by the "they" instead of by Stephen..... ?

No, it cannot because the "my" in Greek is MOU and is a first person
singular masculine pronoun. Thus, Stephen is referring to his own "spirit".
The "they" is a reference to the Sanhedrin who had Stephen stoned.

>Could that be allowed contextually ... ?

No, because it is not allowed grammatically nor contextually.

>the "they" would have to be speaking in a mocking tone ...
>seems far-fetched.. but the issue came up.....

The one who was "calling upon God" was Stephen. Best regards, Tony Costa.