[b-greek] Re: Looking for a good commentary set.

From: Carl McHenry (carl_mchenry@netzero.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 19:34:41 EST

Jim,

My recommendation, for what it is worth, is to look for the best commentary
for each book of the Bible regardless of the series. I have found that each
set has both great and not so great or even bad volumes. I have bought many
different commentary sets, some of which I gave away out of frustration, but
if I had to do it all over again I would look for the two or three or five
best individual commentary for each book of the Bible.

That being say, Jim and Kevin both mentioned Word Biblical Commentary which
might fit your request. They deal with the Greek more than most, are almost
complete, and can be very scholarly. It comes on CD which cost less and
should make it more useful. I really like The New International Greek
Testament Commentary, but there is only a handful done to date.

But please think about buying individual volumes. If you needed a commentary
on Luke for example, I don't think you could do much better than the NIGTC,
The Gospel of Luke by I. Howard Marshall, even though that series does not
meant your criteria.

What do you other guys think?

Jim Darden wrote:

> Can someone recommend a good commentary set that covers the entire NT and
> interacts with the Greek on a scholarly level. I'm looking for your best
> recommendations.

Carl McHenry
Fresno, CA
mchenrys@netzero.com