[b-greek] hebrewlatin responses.

From: James Forsyth (james@bigbeing.com.au)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 16:30:10 EST

<x-flowed>
Hi all,

Thanks so much to all who have responded.

Charlie Perkins wrote:
>Latin is a bit friendlier conjugating amo (I love) rather than ltq (I kill)!

I guess LUW isn't that friendly either come to think of it! And having two
vowels together may be confusing for beginning students needing to identify
the stems of verbs.

>6) By learning Latin, you would be staying within the family of

>Indoeuropean languages. This may seem like an advantage to some, but
>learning Hebrew gives you access to the family of Semitic languages. It's a
>fairly close-knit family, so once you've got one nailed down, it doesn't
>take a lot of work to move to others. Want to learn the earliest writing
>system known to man? You can jump to Akkadian (or Phoenician, if you want
>to stick with alphabetic systems). Want to study Patristics? It takes very
>little to move from Hebrew (or any other Semitic language) into Syriac.
>Interested in Talmud? Learn Hebrew's close cousin Aramaic, and you're only
>a step or two away from Mishnaic Hebrew.

The surgeon of Crowthorn(e?)! Perhaps the sorts of parties one would best
be a hit at are barmitzvahs? Certainly, the little I've known about Hebrew
has proved to be a great conversation starter with Jewish people.

James Forsyth.