[b-greek] Greek Idioms

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 11:43:34 EST

> Wayne,
> I was interested to see on your list that you have Rom 1:17 (EK PISTEWS
EIS

> PISTIN) as "from first to last." I have recently seen this rendered "from
> the faithfulness [of God/Christ] to faith [of believers]" (or something
like
> that ;-) which seemed to fit pretty well. Do you have any other instances
> of this phrase to show that it was actually an idiom having the meaning
you
> give it?
>
> Rion Reece
>
> >To try to remedy this lack of a list of true Greek idioms I have begun a
> >tentative list of New Testament Idioms at URL:
> >
> >http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/ntidioms.htm

Hello Rion,

The English rendering suggested for EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN is supported in a
recent article in the journal The Bible Translator. The article was written
by a linguist who did a careful study of this Greek expression. I have
scanned the article and my understanding is that it can be used on a limited
basis only for personal study. You can download the article as a Zipped
file, benware.zip, from the Bible Translation discussion list website:

I'm not convinced that this Greek phrase is an actual linguistic idiom. My
list
on my Bible translation website is truly "tentative", and I very much need
input to help me correct mistakes and add further good examples. If anyone
knows of a better list of true linguistic idioms in the Greek NT, I will
gladly use that list. I'm not aware of one, so felt we needed to start
somewhere.

Thanks for you keen eye to question this example. I welcome further
discussion on this or any others of the examples. And I would expecially
appreciate additions of Greek forms which are likely true linguistic idioms.
Wayne
---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation site: http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/