[b-greek] The Father's House in John 14:2-3

From: Robert L. Garringer (1baptist@nemr.net)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 13:55:45 EST

A few pastors I have known through the years are convinced that the context
of John 14:2-3 indicates that the "Father's House" that Jesus spoke of is a
present experience of believers, and is not a heavenly or eschatological
concept. Please comment on this idea, giving contextual or grammatical
reasons why this interpretation is either unjustified, possible, or
preferrable.

In his explanations in the rest of the chapter, Jesus seems to give the
three key phrases in these verses a spiritual application, relevant to the
believers' life in this world.

(1) The "rooms" (MONAI) in verse 2 seem to be explained, in verse 23, as the
presence of the Father and Son in the life of the individual believer, here
and now.

(2) Jesus' departure (POREUOMAI) also spoken of in verse 2, is explained as
going to the Father (PROS TON PATERA) in verses 12 and 28. And, in verses
6-7, Jesus indicates that one can come "to the Father" (same Greek phrase)
and "know" and "see" Him "from now on" (AP' ARTI).

(3) Even Jesus' "coming again" (PALIN ERCHOMAI) in verse 3 is explained as
coming "to you" (PROS HUMAS) in verses 18 and 28 and coming "to him" (PROS
AUTO) in verse 23, where a lasting residence (MONON) is established.

Finally, in verses 28-29, Jesus summarizes, by stating that He had spoken of
these things in advance so that, when they came to pass, the apostles would
"believe." This seems to mean that their faith would increase, not that it
would be fulfilled, in an eschatological sense.

On the other hand, the NIV, for example, translates verse 2, "There are many
rooms in my Father's house; otherwise, I would have told you. I am going
there [presumably, to my Father's house] to prepare a place for you."

And many commentators insist that verse 3 is a statement that Jesus will
come from His Father's House in order to take the apostles (or, by
extension, the apostle's heirs) back with Him.

Again, are there contextual or grammatical considerations that either
disqualify, allow for, or strongly commend one of these views, in contrast
with the other?

Pastor Robert L. Garringer