[b-greek] Jude 7

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 11:06:25 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim West" <jwest@highland.net>
> Howdy,
>
> I am presently translating Jude (a big task huh) and at verse 7 find
> ekporneusasai
>
> from ekporneuw obviously.
>
> Is there any document which uses this word in the sense of "inhospitible"
> (or is it inhospitable)? The reason i ask is because the dreadful sin of
> sodom and gomorrah was inhospitality

That sounds like a statement of fact, Jim, whereas I would think it would be
more accurate to phrase it as a statement of scholarly conclusion (perhaps,
even, hypothesis). It seems to me a more scientific approach to the lexical
semantics of EKPORNEUSASAI would be to look for all occurrences of the word
and its morphological alternates in biblical as well as extra-biblical
contexts and attempt to induce from all those occurrences what the meaning
of the word was. I am *not* suggesting a meaning for the word, only
addressing the issue of scientific methodology here.

Wayne
---
Wayne Leman

<snip>