[b-greek] Re: Rising up in Polycarp

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 16:10:31 EDT

"Alan B. Thomas" <a_b_thomas@yahoo.com> said:
> But may I urge that we give due diligence to the Greeks' intentional
> use of ambiguity, and not reduced it to an either/or proposition
> simply because such a reduction more accurately would reflect MODERN
> thinking.

While I very much appreciate the caution against anachronism, I question
your overall point.

Are you referring to something like `double meaning'? Or do you actually
mean `ambiguity'?

The reason I ask is if a person purposely speaks or writes ambiguously,
then the person does NOT communicate. I more likely believe it is WE who
need to understand, not THEY who need to communicate better.
Mike Sangrey
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."