[b-greek] Oikos and House Churches

From: James A. Gehman (jagehman@cantv.net)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 11:11:20 EDT

It is sometimes argued that the early churches were house churches, based on
the use of oikos in the New Testament (such as Acts 2.42-47: KAT' OIKON).
This seems to be so as best as I can tell, however, joined to this argument
is sometimes the idea that the church became corrupted with the result that
the house chuches were moved into 'church buildings.' However, as I look
through the various lexicons (Liddell & Scott, BADG, Louw & Nida, Kittel,
etc), it seems that this argument will not hold water, given the fact that
oikos can also refer to wider semantic ranges such as synagogues, rooms,
meeting-houses, etc. Does oikos refer to houses of nuclear families or
could it refer to other public meeting places?

James A. Gehman, M.A.
Join the Ethnohermeneutics Discussion List!
Send a blank message to: ethnohermeneutics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*)))))><
Misión Bíblica Menonita en Venezuela/International Ministries
Fraternidad Teológica Latinoamericana/Latin American Theological Fraternity
Seminario Evangélico de Caracas/Evangelical Seminary of Caracas
Caracas, Venezuela
jagehman@cantv.net
Fax al Correo Electrónico/E-mail fax: (941) 659-8741
Telefax/Venezuela fax: +58-212 241-5142
Habitación/Home: +58-212 241-2834