[b-greek] Re: Heb. 13:2b

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 16:06:10 EDT

At 6:18 PM +0000 5/4/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>I understand that this clause contains an "idiomatic
>usage common in classical Greek" (Vine). Specifically,
>I suppose, the "entertaining of angels unawares."
>Can someone help me understand the possible nuances
>of this idiom. My interest was originally to better
>understanding ELAQON, but since it seems it is part of a whole,
>I guess my interest is now what does this whole idiom mean?

I've often wondered why we don't give a little more breadth to

Why couldn't this be, "entertaining messengers unawares?"

In other words (and pardon the segway into interpretation, but I'm
trying to shift people out of angel-focus into something a little more
mundane), how many times have you had someone in your home and
sometime later you said, "Boy, that was pleasant, I "was
blessed"/"learned something"/grew/etc. The context is of showing love
to one another. Even now, I couldn't tell you the times I've been
benefitted by those who have visited me. I was unaware at the time
that the benefit would come; but it did.

All I'm saying is we don't have to go and make Angels appear in human
form in order to understand the idiom. It very well may be a quite
straight forward rather natural occurrence. Wonderful when it
happens, but natural, nonetheless.

Mike Sangrey
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."