[b-greek] Re: 1 Co 14.1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 19:16:30 EDT

At 1:48 PM -0700 5/4/01, John Lupia wrote:
>John N. Lupia
>501 North Avenue B-1
>Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
>To: Tom Belt
>Subject: [b-greek] 1Cor 14.1: DIWKETE
>Hi all-
>1 Co 14.1 reads DIWKETE. What's the possibility that this ought to read (as
>it is in the majority of instances) as "persecute" and the verse be
>understood as a Pauline rebuke something like, "You guys are persecuting

Just about nil, I'd say. There follows immediately another word ZHLOUTE
which would appear also to be an imperative, although it too COULD be
construed as an indicative. I think both are imperatives and that the
second imperative, with its object clause (MALLON DE hINA PROFHTEUHTE) is
explained by the GAR clause that follows immediately: "be eager for
spiritual gifts, but primarily to prophesy, because the one who ..." At any
rate, that's my take on it.