[b-greek] But what about prepositions-Genitive

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 09:47:44 EDT

The following quotation may be an instrucive example of what not
to do with the/a genitive case, in any language:

with acknowledgments to "virgilsalvage1"
> However if we make a statement that George Stewart raised " crop apples
>with apples in the genitive case( assuming we are speaking Greek )
>then what
>I am proposing is that a Greek speaker would use the genitive because to
>he is thinking about, impressed by,
>and it is not escaping him concerning
>what it means to have such a thing as an apple tree, soil, seed, proper
>weather, growth in the apple tree branches with leaves on the branches,
>buds, the appearance of the little apples, the continuance of the season,
>more growth, new shape color, more time, harvest approaching...Now, apples
>Wonderful, sweet, nutritious and thereby life-giving apples. This is crop
>(apples--genitive case) It speaks of distinction. Distinction that cannot
>come to be without something more significant happening than what is
>represented by the relationship between verb and accusative.
(end quote)

'apples' simply specifies the kind of crop:
An apple crop, not a pomegranate crop
(ROW~N, [sing.TH~S RO'AS],
does not equal

The genitive of TO MH~LON does not suggest any of the long
quotation above.

Please apply some common sense:
would you want people interpreting English like the above quote?
Such extrapolations violate every principle of human
communication that I know and in every language that I know.
The good thing is that, having seen such an expanded reading,
perhaps students will be brought back into the realities of
human communication.

>The genitive
>case speaks of process. That's why, I believe the verb EGHGERTAI "raised"
>perfect indicative passive. This speaks of process.

Again, I would say that this is backwards. The perfect speaks of the result
a process, not the process itself. And the genitive is irrelevant to the

>And, even more so I believe,
>carrying more weight of import that is...is the genitive phrase "EK
>NEKRWN" For the raising that was being thought of here to be an "out from
>that which is characterized by the dead kind.....well, that doesn't just
>happen. There has to be something or someone behind it and that someone or
>something behind it has to be moving the process along, and thereby
>it to be. What is indicated here is that the "some" that believed this to
>real concerning John the Baptist, had come to this conclusion as a result
>very careful consideration. They were convinced. The genitive shows this
>most, it seems to me.

Actually, any who pondered the resurrection issue would have done so
because of their worldview and expectations within their worldview.
Again, the genitive has nothing to say about this but the phrase does
qualify the kind of 'standing up'.

Randall Buth