[b-greek] Re: Acts 2:38

From: Glenn Blank (glennblank@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 23:05:28 EDT

I had written,

>> Of course, the problem of the naturalness of the translation remains.
>> "be baptized *for* the remission of sins" sound unnatural to your ears?

Wayne answered
>From: "Wayne Leman" <Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG>
>Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:51:21 -0600
>No, sorry.
>I'm OK with the following, and probably some other possibilities. I just
>need to have something that sounds grammatical to my ears. A lot of what I
>call Gringlish doesn't sound grammatical to my English ears.

OK. It sounded natural to me, but maybe my ears have been Grinlishized, or
may KJVized :)

>I like my Greek
>to be Greek and my English to be English. These are OK in my dialect of

       "Repent and be baptized so that your sins will be forgiven."
        "If you repent and be baptized your sins will be forgiven." (result)

I agree that English needs to be English, and I am still considering your
comments to the effect that much of what we find ambiguous in Greek was
likely *not* ambiguous to the mother tongue reader. I would still caution
against overtranslating, and I would be tempted to ask what clues there are
in this passage that would favor purpose over result or vice-versa. But
upon further reflection, it seems to me that in this context there is in
effect no difference between the two.

>Are all your posts "blank" messages? <g>
>Wayne Leman
>Bible translation site: http://www.geocities.com/bible_translatio

Yes, Wayne, and if you open one of my posts, you have "drawn a blank" :)

Yours in the search,
glenn blank
Pensacola, FL