[b-greek] Re: accusative with EIMI, Col. 1:6

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 11:42:30 EDT

<x-flowed>
Chuck

>DIA THN ELPIDA THN APOKEIMENHN hUMIN EN TOIS OURANOIS, hHN PROHKOUSATE EN
>TiW LOGiW THS ALHQEIAS TOU EUAGGELIOU TOU PARONTOS EIS hUMAS, KAQWS KAI EN
>PANTI TiW KOSMiW ESTIN KARPOFOROUMENON KAI AUXANOMENON KAQWS EN hUMIN
>AF'HS...
>
>What interests me here is 'ESTIN KARPOFOROUMENON KAI AUZANOMENON'. Why are
>these two participals in the accusative? My understanding is that when
>used
>with EIMI that these would normally be in the nominative case. Also, I had
>to kind of hunt for what the referent of these two participals, my guess is
>that it is EUAGGELIOU.

This would appear to be the not so common Predicate use of the participles,
hence they lack the article.

I think you are on safe ground taking EUAGGELIOU as the subject:

"The gospel is bearing fruit and expanding..."

Perhaps your observation on EIMI usually with Nominative case is for
Attributive uses of the participle.... but I'm not sure.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson