[b-greek] Re: Luke 23:43 in B

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:30:06 EDT

In a message dated 06/05/2001 7:50:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwashbur@nyx.net writes:

<< I have looked at it in the facsimile and it's correct that there is a
 brown dot there, but
 I would term it "of unknown origin". It is most probably only a blot.
 There is no extra
 space between the letters which one would expect if this is a
 comma. I
 would not base
 anything on this. >>

I am sorry, but I beg to differ. I have a copy of the text right in front of
me, and it is very clearly NOT a "blot." It is a well-placed point just like
other marks in B. The spacing is not tight, but free and deliberate.

Anyone who wants to check it for his- or herself can and should request
through interlibrary loan the microfilm from the Ancient Biblical Manuscript
Center, in Claremont. Leaning on my opinion or someone else's, like this
fellow from TC, would be a mistake. Look at the microfilm and draw your own
*informed* conclusion. I think you will see quite plainly that the dot is no
blot at all, is not faded at all, and is from the original hand.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford