[b-greek] Re: Luke 5:7

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 11:33:30 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 05:10 18/06/01, you wrote:

> I have some questions on the first half of Luke
>5:7:
>KAI KATENEUSAN TOIS METOCOS en TW hETERW PLOIW TOU
>ELONTAS SULLABESQAI AUTOIS

Ken:
Would it help clear things up for you by pointing out a typo - METOCOIS is
correct.
So this dispenses with your contention that:

>1. The first TOIS construciton is
>clealry missing AUTWN or the like, and I'm wondering
>if the article alone is considered to do that job?

Literally,
" and they signalled to those participating in the other boat to come and
help them "

All the information necessary to arrive at this translation is available in
BAGD:
KATANEUW:
signal by means of a nod TINI to someone.
METOCOS:
sharing or participating in w. gen. of the pers. or thing

SULLAMBANW:
Again, BAGD notes:
  take hold of together, then support, aid, help (Aeschyl.+) w. dat. of the
one to whom help is given

I think this answers your queries, except perhaps:

>2. TOU plus an infinitive is common, but what about
>the aorist participle between the two? I know the
>parti8ciple can be used as an imperative, but as part
>of a compound infinitive? Is it "to, afterhaving
>come, help" or "to come and help"?

Here you have an articular infinitive, with the subject in the accusative (
perfectly normal Greek construction, I should think? ) with, as Fitzmyer
points out, " a circumstantial participle to denote purpose ".

If you have access to "Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics " you will find a
section devoted to:

1. Adverbial (or Circumstantial): modifies the verb, answering the question
When? (temporal), How? (means, manner), Why? (purpose, cause), etc. (622–40)
<<<
and Wallace amplifies this with:

d. Cause: because (answers the question, Why?); indicates the cause or
reason or ground of the action of the finite verb; usually precedes its
verb (631–32)
<<<<<<

Hope this clears things up.

Maurice