[b-greek] Re: 1 John 3:6a

From: Jason A. Hare (language_lover64801@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 14:42:45 EDT

> IMO, this connection of OU with hAMARTANEI is correct, but the reasoning is not.
> The use of MH with non-indicative verbals is usual, but not absolute; in fact, OU
> with the participle is one of the categories specifically listed in BDAG. Also, OU
> is the particle of choice for the negation of general ideas, and non-verbal parts of
> speech.

<snip>

> Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I had not heard that before. I
looked up the relevant section(s) in Smyth at Perseus. I'll attach them
for anyone interested.

Jason

<<
ou AND m WITH THE PARTICIPLE
2728. The participle has ou when it states a fact, m when it states a
condition. On m due to the force of the leading verb, see 2737.

ou pisteun since (as, when, etc.) he does not believe, m pisteun if he
does not believe, aneb epi ta or oudenos klu_ontos he went up on the
mountains since no one hindered him X. A. 1.2.22 , ouk an dunaio m kamn
eudaimonein thou canst not be happy if thou hast not toiled E. fr. 461,
hs hdu to zn m phthonouss ts tuchs how sweet is life if fortune is
not envious Men. Sent. 563.

a. m with the articular participle is the abridged equivalent of a
conditional relative sentence. Thus, in ho m tauta poin adikos esti, ho
m poin is virtually the generic hos an m poii or hostis m poiei
compressed into a noun.

2729. ou is used with a supplementary participle (in indirect discourse)
in [p. 619] agreement with a noun (or pronoun, expressed or unexpressed)
depending on a verb of knowing, showing, seeing, perceiving, etc.
(2106-2115); and also with such supplementary participles (not in indirect
discourse) after verbs of emotion (2100), etc. In most such cases hoti ou
might have been used.

oudena gar oida mi_sounta tous epainountas for I know of no one who
dislikes his admirers X. M. 2.6.33 , phaneron pasin epoisan ouk idiai
polemountes they made it clear to all that they were not waging war for
their own interests Lyc. 50, horsi tous presbuterous ou . . . apiontas
they see that their elders do not depart X. C. 1.2.8 , oudeis mpoth'
heuri . . . ouden elleiphthen no one will ever find that anything has
been left undone D. 18.246 ; Ku_ri hdeto ou dunameni si_gan he rejoiced
that Cyrus was unable to remain silent X. C. 1.4.15 .

2730. epistamai and oida denoting confident belief may take m for ou.
Thus, exoida phusei se m pephu_kota toiauta phnein kaka well do I know
that by nature thou art not adapted to utter such guile S. Ph. 79 ; cp. S.
O. C. 656, T. 1.76, 2. 17. This use of m is analogous to that with the
infinitive (2727).

2731. m is used when the reason for an action is regarded as the
condition under which it takes place; as ou tou pleonos m steriskomenoi
charin echousin they are not grateful at not being deprived of the greater
part of their rights T. 1.77 ( = ei m steriskonto).

2732. The participle with hs, hsper, hate, hoion, hoia (2085-2087) has
ou; as ethorubeite hs ou poisontes tauta you made a disturbance by way
of declaring that you did not intend to do this L. 12.73 . The use of ou
shows that there is nothing conditional in the use of hs though it is
often translated by as if. m occurs only after an imperative or a
conditional word (2737).

2733. Participles of opposition or concession (2083) take ou; as peithou
gunaixi kaiper ou stergn homs hearken to women albeit thou likest it not
A. Sept. 712 .

2734. The participle with the article has ou when a definite person or
thing is meant, but m when the idea is indefinite and virtually
conditional (whoever, whatever); and when a person or thing is to be
characterized (of such a sort, one who; 2705 g). Cp. 2052.

hoi ouk ontes the dead T. 2.44 , hoi ouk ethelontes the particular persons
(or party) who are unwilling Ant. 6.26, hoi ou boulomenoi tauta houts
echein the party of opposition And. 1.9 ; hoi m dunamenoi any who are
unable X. A. 4.5.11 ( = hoitines m dunantai or hosoi an m dunntai), ho
m dareis anthrpos ou paideuetai he who gets no flogging gets no training
Men. Sent. 422 , ho m legn ha phronei the man who does not say what he
thinks D. 18.282 , ho mden adikn oudenos deitai nomou he who does no
wrong needs no law Antiph. 288.

---