[b-greek] Re: Does "If A then B mean if not B then not A" ?

From: Dave Reigle (dlrgrk@paonline.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 19:46:23 EDT

All grammar aside, If " A implies B" is a true statement, then, "NotB
implies NotA is also a true statement. However we can not say that If "A
implies B" then "NotA implies NotB" is true.
To diagram the situation:
A --> B (True) Then
NotB --> NotA (True) [This is called the contrapositive]
B --> A (Not necessarily True) [This is called the Converse]
NotA --> NotB (Not necessarily True) [This is called the Inverse]

I hope this helps, ignore it if not. Of the logic I'm sure, the rest?
David L. Reigle
Elizabethtown, PA