[b-greek] RE: OIDAMEN or OIDA + MEN

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 23:40:56 EDT

At 09:37 AM 7/1/01 +0200, Iver Larsen wrote:
>Several commentators prefer the OIDA MEN option. Douglass Moo gives the
>traditional, "modern" view when he says:
>"While the first singular reading would bring this verb into conformity with the
>others in vv. 14-25 and is therefore preferred by some (e.g. Zahn, Wilckens), it
>is suspect, as the "easier" reading, for that same reason."

I think that reliance on the concept of an "easier" reading is
misplaced here. Normally, text criticism prefers the harder
reading because it more likely for scribes to remove problems
than introduce them into the text. However, OIDAMENGAR has
exactly the same reading in the continuous script because
spaces are not used. There is simply no scribal change at
issue here, and the concept of the "easier" reading does not
therefore apply.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com