[b-greek] Re:Apostrophe or Breathing Mark?

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 00:09:05 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel L. Christiansen [mailto:dlc@multnomah.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 11:59 AM
>Richard Allan Stauch wrote [snipped]:
>> In a few words I have noticed what looks like a smooth breathing mark, or
an
>> apostrophe, over a vowel in the middle of a word. I have not yet seen it
in the
>> GNT.
>Richard, Carl already responded with an answer to your question, but I
haven't seen
>anyone address the issue of it occurring in the GNT. The most common of
these
>crasis words in the NT seems to be KA'GW (KAI EGW) with over 70
appearances. The
>first is in Matt 2:8, the last in Rev 22:8. Then there is KA'N (KAI EAN or
KAI AN)
>with about 20 uses, from MAtt 21:21 to James 5:15. The particular term you
noticed
>in Clement (KA'ME) occurs thrice in the GNT: John 7:28; 16:32; 1Cor 16:34.
>
>If you are looking for crasis while reading through an electronic text, you
may be
>out of luck. The apostrophe doesn't get included in some of these.

Daniel,

To paraphrase Ralph Cramden, "ooooo boy." Well, there you go. It was there
all along, and I just never saw it. When I came across it, I checked
Hewett's "New Testament Greek: A Beginning and Intermediate Grammar",
Chapter 1: Alphabet, Orthography, and Punctuation. He doesn't mention crasis
until Chapter 12, in a footnote on page 96! Until I started this little
project, I never paid attention, but assumed. The crasis mark is there, bold
as you please, in the UBS GNT, and in both on-line databases I have been
using for years (BibleWorks v. 3.2). I am truly sorry for bothering you and
all the smart guys with such a question. But, why am I always the last one
to know?

I promise, next time I'll just look.

"Now for my next trick, I'll make the idiot disappear." [Moe]
Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA