[b-greek] Mark 14:41 TO LOIPON

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 06:30:47 EDT

Part of Mark 14:41 reads:

KAQEUDETE TO LOIPON KAI ANAPAUESQE - APECEI.

We discussed APECEI briefly in June, and I even made a comment myself. But
now I am going through Mark 14 and stumbled over TO LOIPON.

The entry for LOIPON in BDAG is curious. Under the adverbial temporal use of
(TO) LOIPON in section 3.a. they give the following senses: "from now on, in
the future, henceforth". But then in the same section they quote Mark 14:41
and suggest as possible meanings:
 "you are still sleeping! or: do you intend to sleep on and on? Also poss.:
meanwhile, you are sleeping! you are sleeping in the meantime?"

Neither "still" nor "meanwhile" were listed as possible meanings of TO
LOIPON, so why do they prop up here?

Is it not possible to simply understand the sentence as an ironical command
and indirect rebuke: "From now on you can sleep and rest! It's all over!"

It seems to me that Jesus is intending to say something like: "I had wanted
you to watch and pray with me. But you were sleeping and resting instead.
The battle is over now, it is behind us (APECEI). Go ahead, sleep and rest
as much as you like. It is all over and done with. You missed it." After
that he moves on.

What do you think of this interpretation?

Thanks,
Iver Larsen