[b-greek] Re: time flies like an arrow and the notion of sentence

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 17:38:15 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 03:01 PM 7/27/2001 -0400, Chet Creider wrote:
>Consider the following two interpretations:
>
>(1) I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart / I can be forever happy
>(2) I have no feelings whatsoever / when we're apart I can be forever happy
>
>Calling the larger unit which contains the two smaller units a clause
>rather than a sentence is fine if you allow clauses to be self-embedding.
>If not (my unspoken assumption -- I should have mentioned this), then
>another unit is needed.

I think we agree, then.

> I don't think many linguists would object to
>the former analysis (I don't myself), but the traditional analysis,
>considering clause as a minimal unit is also acceptable, I think, for
>English, and for that subset of NT Greek which is like English (i.e.
>participial phrases, relative clauses, INA complements, etc.).

Again, I think we agree. For me, no model is the One True Account, so it
doesn't bother me that there are models that don't think in terms of sentences.

>But the more paratactic connections are the ones I'm unsure about.

Main Entry: para.tax.is
Pronunciation: "par-&-'tak-s&s
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek, act of placing side by side, from
paratassein to place side by side, from para- + tassein to arrange
Date: circa 1842
: the placing of clauses or phrases one after another without coordinating
or subordinating connectives

So do you mean the relationship between adjacent clauses with no
coordinating or subordinating connective?

Jonathan Robie
jwrobie@mindspring.com

"I'm no authority on biblical languages, but I run some authoritative
mailing lists..."
B-Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek)
B-Hebrew (http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew)
Little Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/koine)