Luke 1:14 EPI THi GENESEI AUTOU

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 07:21:59 EDT

Luke 1:14 KAI POLLOI EPI THi GENESEI AUTOU XARHSONTAI<br><br>
Zerwick says that GENNAW in the above passage means &quot;to bear&quot;. Most translations say that many will rejoice &quot;at his birth&quot;, which seems like the most obvious meaning. If I wanted to translate it &quot;to bear&quot;, I think I would read the phrase as something like &quot;and he will bring joy to many&quot;, but my brain is having a hard time coercing EPI THi GENESEI into that meaning. Or perhaps this phrase could be read as &quot;at his prompting&quot;?<br><br>
So here are my questions:<br><br>
1. How do you think Zerwick would interpret the phrase as a whole, if he believes the GENNAW means &quot;to bear&quot;?<br>
2. What are the range of natural interpretations for the phrase EPI THi GENESEI?<br>
3. Is there any reason to be dissatisfied with the traditional translation &quot;many will rejoice at his birth&quot;?<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Jonathan Robie<br>
jwrobie@mindspring.com<br><br>
EXISTANTO DE PANTES KAI DIHPOROUN, ALLOS PROS ALLON LEGONTES: TI QELEI TOUTO EINAI;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Acts 2:12<br><br>
B-Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek)<br>
B-Hebrew (http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew)<br>
Little Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/koine)<br>
Little Greek 101 (http://metalab.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons)</html>