[b-greek] Re: Use of word "mallon"

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 15:00:03 EDT

"Conrad Chiu" <cchiu@bhmc.com.au> said:
> I am very novice greek learner. I am just wondering if anyone can tell
> me what are the pointers to when "mallon" should be translated as
> "more than" as opposed to "rather than". I am specifically think of 2
> Tim 3:4 where the meaning will be quite significantly different.

To me, MALLON sets up a superlative relationship. Whether the
relationship is comparison or contrast is to be determined by other
syntactic or semantic clues in the context.

For example, 2 Tim 3:4--

The `H' (or) is the syntactic clue which sets up the contrast.

The NIV has "lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God." I would
probably intensify the contrast even more since I think that is what
MALON is doing here. Something like: "lovers of pleasure which is
quite distinct from lovers of God." Perhaps I'm overtranslating.

Mike Sangrey
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."