[b-greek] Re: When is a form real?

From: ross purdy (rossjpurdy@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 04:51:43 EDT

<x-flowed>
From Ross Purdy To the List,
Trying to think from a practical perspective, when I think of a verbal
action, I do not think of a particular form until after the context it will
be used in is considered. So, first an action is concieved of in the mind
which has meaning to me. Then, the form arises as I have learned it which
best serves the aspect/tense/point of veiw: go, going, come, coming, went,
gone etc. The form, it seems to me, is only representing the reality and is
subservient to what is the most convenient way of expressing it. Meaning in
context underlies the real/used forms, while the analytical, abstract form
would be an artificial construct of the linguist, again convenient for the
purposes of the linguist. Do not most speakers of more than one language
think primarily in one language and then match the words they are thinking
of with forms in the second language with out ever touching base with a root
or lexical form? In the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, there are a lot of German
speaking people who think in German and speak in a literal English rendition
of their thoughts like "turn around the corner". When children have not
learned or can not remember the correct form, they use rules they learned
for creating a form or substitute in one they do know: "I goed to the
bathroom", "I should've went too" to express what they mean. I guess I would
vote for calling it an analytical form which is artificial since I do not
think the language user is conscious of it. Rather the user is conscious of
the meaning and the learned conventions for expressing it.

In Christ,

Ross Purdy

rossjpurdy@hotmail.com