[b-greek] Re: METANOIA

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 13:57:44 EDT

At 05:51 PM 8/24/01 +0000, you wrote:

>------
>>METANOIA basically refers to a change of mind.
>>
>>If there [is] a Greek word, I can't think of [one] right now that refers to
>>a change of heart?
>------
>
>Same word. There is no distinction here between mind and heart.
>
>Mark Wilson

there is a distinction. but i think what you mean is that for the Jew of
the first century the "mind" was the seat of the will as much as the "heart"
was the seat of the will (and not the seat of emotions- which were seen to
be centered in the guts). i agree with you though-- our false dichotomy
between heart and mind is a modern invention which is quite foreign to the
biblical writers.

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD

Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies, Roane State Community College

Home Page:
Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest