[b-greek] Re: hEWS hOU in 2Pt 1:19

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 16:58:31 EDT

c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net> said:
> This is a good example of why translation isn't the key to
> understanding NT Greek. The Greek constituent hEWS hOU does not have
> the same logical function as the English gloss "do . . . until."

And this is why translation is a LOT more than just word glossing.

And, more apropos to BGreek, why glossing words (which I suspect
is what you meant to say) does NOT give a full understanding of
the meaning of the Greek. There's more going on in Greek (or
any language for that matter) than just the streaming of words.
Mike Sangrey
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."