[b-greek] James 1:3

From: Rob Matlack (united_by_truth@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 16:13:03 EDT

Concerning James 1:3: GINWSKONTES hOTI TO DOKIMION hUMWN THS PISTEWS
KATERGAZETAI hUPOMONHN

What does hUMWN modify and why? The common translation is something like
"knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance". Why could it
not be "knowing that your testing [trial] of faith produces endurance"? I
suppose that the meaning is similar, but perhaps the emphasis is a little
different.

Rob Matlack united_by_truth@yahoo.com
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on
it's behalf."--Blaise Pascal