[b-greek] Re: Heb. 11:11a

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 09:06:21 EDT

At 12:57 AM 9/5/2001 -0500, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:
>But if parenthetic, wouldn't it have been more natural to express this in a
>genitive absolute clause with OUSHS as the participle, in order to
>distinguish SARRA from the subject of the main clause?

Actually, some MSS witnesses of Heb 11:11 have done this, by
reading OUSA after STEIRA (P 075 104 256 263 365 436 459 1319
1573 1912 2127 L597 arm eth).

>May this be one of
>the reasons some have taken the Semitic route? I haven't been able to read
>the reasons given for the Semitic proposition, so I'm not sure what the
>arguments for it are.

It's just that Hebrew tends to use coordinating clauses (parataxis), where
good Greek prefers subordinating clauses (hypotaxis). That's all
really. You see this in Heb 1:5, which is a quotation from the LXX.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com