[b-greek] Re: Translation Studies

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@appleisp.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 19:57:25 EDT

on 9/7/01 6:34 PM, Paul Schmehl at p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Yet this does nothing to support your argument. Simply saying that someone
> else *could be wrong*, doesn't make your argument stronger. I think Carl's
> point that, in the context, the passage reads "EUREN TON TOPON OU", makes
> your definition of the word implausible. You not only have to make Jesus
> illiterate, you also must make him deceitful. If he wasn't reading from the
> scroll, then he would have been trying to make it look as though he was,
> which would make him twice the scoundrel.

What Jim also seems to overlook is that the very fact that hEUREN TON TOPON
proves that he could read (assuming, of course, you accept this pericope as
a historically reliable tradition). I have an experiment Jim might try: Find
someone who does not know how to read (English or Greek), hand that person a
Greek New Testament, and instruct that person to find where it is written:
hELLHNISTI GINWSKEIS;
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI