[b-greek] Re: textual cruces

From: Rev. Bryant J. Williams III (bjwvmw@com-pair.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 03:11:56 EDT

Dear Marica:

I think the use of DIKAIOSUNH + cognates where in Mt 6:1 and James 2:21-25
it has an "ethical/social aspect," while Romans 3:21-26 and Galatians
2:15-3:14 has Paul using DIKAIOSUNH + cognates with a "forensic/legal
aspect." Both aspects are always present in the use of the word-group, but
the CONTEXT determines which aspect is being emphasized.

I would also add the following:
1. The use or non-use of the article (including Sharp's Rule and Colwell's),
how prepositions are used in the NT (remember that in English we are usually
taught what a prepositions is and how to recognize one, but we are NOT
taught how it is used; this is a much neglected area of NT Greek grammars;
see also ANTI; EN; HYPER; etc.).
2. The use or non-use of the LXX versus the MT (Masoretic Text) in the
quotations found in the NT (all the quotes and allusions in Hebrews are from
the LXX).
3. Certain forensic, social, athletic, military terms are incomprehensible
without knowledge of Greek.
    a. DIKH + cognates = righteous(ness); justify (justification).
    b. METAMELOMAI, METANOEW & STREFW word-groups = repentance;
grief; to turn around; etc.
    c. KATALLASSW = reconciliation.
    d. HOMOLOGEW = confession (forensic); praise (confession and
acknowledgement, gratitude).
    e. KURIOS = Lord.
    f. HYPOTASSW = subjection; submission.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

En Xpistw,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III
    e. HYPOTASSW