[b-greek] RE: Luke 18:11 -- Iver Larsen's suggestion

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:34:04 EDT

> Iver, do you not think that the word-order of hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS TAUTA
> PROS hEAUTON PROSHUCETO makes this questionable? It certainly
> appears to me
> that PROS hEAUTON is harder to construe with STAQEIS than with PROSHUCETO.
> I don't question at all that PROS + acc. regularly means "near" or
> "at"--but the phrase PROS hEAUTON in the sense of "by himself" still seems
> strange to me; I would expect rather something like MONOS STAQEIS.

Yes, with that word order it would be questionable.
But I did say that both NA and the UBS Greek texts have a different word
order which is more likely to be what Luke wrote. The mistake was apparently
introduced either by p75 or the second hand of Sinaiticus.

The correct text according to the latest Greek text which by the way agrees
with the majority text tradition is to have PROS hEAUTON immediately after
STAQEIS.

The MONOS option I would consider equivalent to KAQ' hEAUTON. It is used
with stative verbs which you can check by looking up its occurrences. It is
common with EIMI and in verbless statements. The word STAQEIS is a motion
verb: to have placed something or someone somewhere. That is why I see PROS
as the most natural choice here. This may be more difficult to see if we
think in terms of the English "stand" which sounds more like a stative verb
than the Greek verb.
With the pluperfect it may get more of the flavour of a stative construction
which fits better with the dative use of PROS as in

John 18:16 hO DE PETROS EISTHKEI PROS TWi QURAi EXW

Peter stood outside at the gate

John 20:11 MARIA DE EISTHKEI PROS TWi MNHMEIWi EXW

Iver Larsen